Dressing Like Nan

Walking through the shopping centre of a busy city, you are bound to come across some people who dress a little on the ‘odd’ side. The thing is I actually quite like the genuinely ‘odd’ look. Multicoloured tights, patchwork pieces, vibrant Doc’s, etc. But this is something that my mind just can’t comprehend; girls and boys that seem to want to dress like Nan and granddad. Where the heck did this come from?! You know who I am talking about. All over the place I am seeing chunky beige knit cardies, granny fringed shoes and bags that wouldn’t be out of place on a market stall with a man shouting ‘2 for a fiver!’

I remember a time when charity shops where a place only whispered about when your friend asked you where you got that ‘lovely’ dress from that your gran bought you and you wore just to be polite. Nowadays if you do happen to stuff the embarrassment of an Oxfam carrier bag away into a slightly cooler H&M one you’re suddenly throwing some sort of fashion statement away.

Anyway back to the point. I’m aware that no style is particularly new; they’re all just recycled ideas that we put our own modern spin on but to see a girl walking along with her grandparents and mistaking her for one of their pals from the bingo is just simply wrong. We’re not the first to reuse old styles. Look at the way our parents dressed when they were young, it may have not been completely new but at least they had the intelligence to add a little extra and not just shrink granddad's Christmas jersey.

I know exactly who is to blame for this travesty. Topshop. Honestly, if they put a neon bin bag on a window mannequin I swear that no less than a week later everyone would be donning the old Halloween costume trick of cutting armholes into a bin liner.

The contents of their stores are made up of flat caps, brogues, baggy jumpers and trousers that have that annoying, perfectly ironed line down the front. What perhaps surprised me more was that these ‘kooky’ people actually own an iron. There’s preppy; cute sweater vests, shirts and plimsolls and then there’s just plain OAP.

I just don’t get it, guys that want to wear brown loafers without any socks like they belong on some boat or golfing holiday. Stop it already, you’re not retired yet! Another thing that baffles me is the type of people that have adopted this style. For something that looks so twee and muted, the attitudes of ‘I’m-better-than- you- because- I- knitted- my- own- scarf’ completely contradict the clothes on their backs.

Whoever thought that this ‘idea’ was a good one well first of all; well done, you’re probably rich but second of all; what were you thinking? It’s boring, it’s not clever and (thanks again to Topshop) it’s expensive for something I could have swiped from my Nan’s wardrobe as she watched Coronation Street.

I’ll leave you with one final thought. I can’t honestly see how the style makes people feel attractive at an age where we can pretty much get away with whatever eccentric style we want. I put the question to a male mind and he simply replied in what I think sums this up quite nicely ‘Yeah but...who actually wants to kiss grandma?’

Unfortunately I have no example photos of this kind of dress (Thank bloody god.) So here's a nice pic of a dessert that smiled at me:


Love L x